Cryptic crosswords are too easy, aren’t they? What we need is something that somehow combines cryptic clues, anagrams and lateral thinking in a sort of mega-puzzle… Thankfully, that’s exactly what quiz-master Brit the Elder has created…
How to solve the ‘Fiddle and Find’ quiz:
(1) Solve the cryptic clue
(2) Apply the bracket to your answer
(3) Fiddle and find to get the final answer!
The final answers are all themed. The theme will become obvious after you’ve solved a few – and will then help you to solve more.
1. sell whip (4) (l-r)
2. verminous colour (5) (u-o)
3. rob fool (3) (g-e)
4. Axe assassin? No, man! (7) (t-e)
5. becomes edible (6) (n-d)
6. nudge trudge prod plod (3) (j-d)
7. autocontroller (8) (m-e)
8. extended family group (5) (b-g)
9. shop and save (5) (t-h)
10. confuse flow controller (6) (e-ou)
A further 10 questions (and a hint, if necessary) will follow in Part 2 tomorrow.