Cream buns aplenty this week. Well done to Ian, Jonathan, Adelephant, Joey JJJ and anyone else who got answers or the connection… Click continue for the full answers.
Here are the full answers to Brit’s Dad’s RB Quiz special:
1. Generator of Monday chaos? (6) = DYNAMO (anagram of Monday = generator)
2. Light equipment made from cobalt or chromium. (5) = TORCH (embedded in cobalt or chromium)
3. Part of what might fall on the ungodly. (9) = BRIMSTONE (as in ‘fire and…)
4. Formidable weapon for formidable woman? (6-3) = BATTLE-AXE
5. Regard tug from vantage point. (10) = WATCHTOWER (a tug being a ‘tow-er’)
6. Hybrid knot once used in battle. (8) = CROSSBOW
7. Iron block attached to stirrup. (5) = ANVIL (the stirrup and anvil being bones in the ear)
8. Living next to No.47 or No.80! (11) = QUICKSILVER (“Quick” being an archaic term for alive, as in ‘the quick and the dead’; silver being element no.47, and quicksilver, or mercury, being no.80)
9. In hot spot get the wind up and go AWOL before military operation (6,5) = DESERT STORM
10. Much too noble feudal superior. (8) = OVERLORD
And the overall connection is all of the answers are the codenames for operations in World War II..
… except Desert Storm, which, being the codename for initial operations in the Gulf War, is the odd one out.